Quick Facts About Haiti
Haiti is located on the island of Hispaniola. It inhabits 1/3 of the island and is next to the Dominican Republic. Haiti is slightly smaller than Maryland.
- Haiti is now the poorest country in the western hemisphere as it has been plagued by political violence for most of its history.
- 80% of the people in Haiti live under the poverty line and 54% live in abject poverty.
- More than 2/3 of the labor force does not have jobs, because there aren’t jobs.
- The average life expectancy is 57 years old.
- French is the official language, but most speak Creole.
- Haiti has a 55% literacy rate.
- 95% of the population is black, 5% is mulatto and white.
- The agricultural products that they have in Haiti are coffee, mangoes, sugarcane, rice, corn, sorghum and wood. The industries in Haiti are sugar refining, flour milling, textiles, cement, and light assembly based on imported parts.
- Haiti was dedicated to Satan in 1805 by the leader of the country. Roughly half of the population practices voodoo.
(Information from the CIA World Fact Book)